The change from winter to spring is one of our favorite times of year! As nature lovers, we have missed seeing the plants and the critters moving around.
Tiny details can be a clue that spring is coming — even if it’s still cold!
Activity: Finding signs of spring
You will need:
- Paper/pencil or a camera
- A yard or outdoor area
What to do:
Go on a hunt for the following things! When you find something, draw it, write it down, or take a picture (whatever works for you).
- Three different shades of green
- As many different flowers in bloom as you can
- A bud that isn’t open yet
- Something that has camouflaged itself (made itself the same color as things around it, so that it’s hard to see)
- How many things can you hear while sitting in nature?
- Something smooth
- Something fuzzy
- Some leaves have different smells when you crush them, like onion grass. Can you find an interesting smell?
- What unique things can YOU find?
Don’t taste anything, because some things are not safe to eat. We will talk how to safely eat wild plants in another lesson.
- Look for the items above
- Draw, write, or take photos of what you find
- Post some of your pictures in the comment section below to share! *
(*if you prefer not to use the comment section, email your photos to email@example.com, and we can share them in a later post).